The Blueberry Lemon Cake is abundant with 1.5 pound of blueberries, providing sweet bursts of juicy blueberry and fresh lemon flavors in every bite. It strikes a perfect balance between sweetness and tanginess, neither being too sweet nor too sour. The sugar can be adjusted.
10 people (9″ blueberry cake)
- 2 pints = 24 oz (1.5 lb) fresh blueberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar or cup unprocessed cane sugar – put in spice blender prior to make into powder. (1/3 cup if you don’t like any sweetness in the cake, only the berries and powdered sugar).
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 lemon medium to large, zest (or 4 small lemons)
- Powdered sugar to dust the top, optional
Before making the Lemon Blueberry Cake, prepare a 9-inch springform pan by lightly olive (EVOO) oiling it. Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
To make the cake, start by beating 2 eggs and 1/2 cup sugar (put through the blender first) with a whisk attachment on high speed for 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes light in color and thick.
Next, add 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup oil, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the mixture and whisk on low speed until well combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour with 2 teaspoon baking powder and 3 teaspoon cornstarch, and gradually add it to the egg and sugar batter whisking to incorporate. Be careful not to overmix the batter. Finally, add 2 medium or large lemon zest or 4 small lemon zest.
Rinse the blueberries and drain them well. In a medium bowl, toss the blueberries. Pour 2/3 of the blueberries into the batter.
Pour all of the batter into the prepared springform pan and spread it evenly. Then, top it with 1/3 of the blueberries. Bake at 375˚F for 55+ minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes, then remove the ring and cool it until it reaches room temperature or is just warm. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.